Saturday, March 3, 2018

Mason Saltarrelli, Thurman Munson @ Marvin Gardens


As a young child in the 80’s, I was obsessed with the Yankees, especially Yankee teams from just before I could remember baseball. I would buy baseball card team set after team set of 70’s Yankees trying to imagine the importance of Ed Figueroa or Jim Spencer and marvel at the youth of current players like Willie Randolph and Lou Piniella, but must of all I idealized the famed hard scrabble leader of the 70’s Yankees, Thurman Munson, who died in a plane crash at the height of his playing days. As much as I have liked Mason Saltarrelli’s paintings and enjoyed his more recent forays into sculpture, I am a little bitter that despite the title, his rather stylish installation of weathered wooden objects has no obvious connection to Thurman Munson.


Already Down

0 comments:

Post a Comment